Thursday 12 September 2013

Science Fun

The last time I went to Scitech my nephew, Sam was eight years old.  Today he is a man of nineteen!  He came to stay for  a couple of days and we ventured into Scitech, a fun place for kids and adults to learn about all things science.  Sam had a ball and so did we. 
 
Renae igniting the balloons at the Scitech show
 
Today I said to Mel; "How about a visit to Scitech? It's been a long time between visits, but I am sure we could have a little fun."  I also mentioned we could stop off at the Art Gallery Café for a bite of lunch.  She was more than willing.  We caught the train as pensioners have free transport between 9:30am and 4pm.  Mel is on a disability pension and I have the carer's pension.  We arrived and I was longing for my caffeine fix.  We stopped at the café on the lower floor and treated ourselves to hot buttery fruit toast and hot drinks.  Feeling revived we headed upstairs and paid our entrance fee.  The, 'Things that Glow'  Show was about to start and we seated ourselves a few rows back to allow the many little kids and their parents to settle in front.  Renae, our presenter was zany and fresh.  The show was created more for school aged children as the littlies screamed in fear as the lights went out and Renae began her routine.  She explained there would be noise as the balloons to her right were about to be torched with a naked flame.  Poof, bang went the three balloons. I hit the shutter button on my fabulous new Sony compact camera and caught the moment!  It was quite amazing.  The show continued for twenty minutes and included lasers and glow sticks.  It was fun.  I showed Renae my photo and she was so impressed she asked me to email it to her, which I have done.  She said she will put it on their website!  Just a moment captured in time.  Mel and I continued to have fun exploring a huge array of entertaining science exhibitions, many of them 'hands on' making them both entertaining and fun.  Mel said she had a great day and I agreed with her.

No comments: