Tuesday 10 September 2013

Milk and Honey

Our first settlers called Australia, The Land of Milk and Honey and they were quite right to do so.  Australia is a wonderful place to live and enjoy.  There is only one hitch.  No matter how much milk and honey you have, you can't keep everyone happy all the time.  There are flaws in the system!
When did we start complaining about money for nothing? 
Merv will be going into respite next month while I enjoy a two week overseas holiday.  The booking was made almost a year ago.  Since 2010 I have applied for funding for Merv's respite twice a year which includes his accommodation and care.  It is money funded by the federal government to allow carers to take a break.  Usually I pay three out of the fourteen days and sometimes Commonwealth Carelink Respite offers to pay the whole fourteen days.  Whoppee!  Yesterday when I rang to request funding I spoke to the team leader who explained many carers have requested funding for the next two months. I was told I would have to pay for eight days, costing $375 and they would fund six days only. 
I suddenly turned into a bull eyeing a red flag.  Six months ago I contributed $140 towards a fourteen day respite and now they want $375!  A huge increase and not something I had budgeted for.  It is similar to pulling straws and finding you pulled the short straw!
I asked to speak to the supervisor to which the team leader suggested she could take my request to a meeting and get back to me.  My blood was pumping  and the bull still raged inside of me.
When did I become too greedy?  Why do I expect too much?  I really should be grateful Merv has a clean and caring place to stay for two weeks.  Before care facilities family members or trusted friends would care for the person while their carer took a break.  Life is different now.
As I mulled over my predicament I realised this is an issue not just to me but to many carers seeking a break from their loved one.  It is impossible to budget for respite costs if one respite is affordable but the next is more than twice the amount. 
The team leader rang me today and informed me my concern was discussed at their meeting and my contribution has been reduced from $375 to $240.  A positive result for me, but how many other carers have paid more than what they can afford? 
What can I do to make a difference and ensure all carers are guaranteed affordable respite? The quest begins.

No comments: