Monday 23 September 2013

The Great Escape

My arm is getting better.  I have lathered it with heat rub throughout the day and swallowed those little homeopathic pills as if  they are lollies.  I have also driven 120 kms on three separate journeys.  My arm still hurts but it's holding up well with the pressure.  Dustin came over and helped shower Merv much to my relief.  Dustin stayed with Merv while I attended my appointment this evening.  I had already made the meatloaf and prepared the veggies.  I shovelled down my own quick tea of fish and lettuce before leaving them to their own devices.  I came home 3 hours later to find they loved the meatloaf and the potato mash but had not cooked the vegetables.  Their excuse?  "I didn't know there were vegetables".... hmmm the old, 'I didn't know they were there line,' works every time!  Leave a couple of blokes together and they get up to all types of mischief!
Where was I?  I was across town picking up my holiday tickets and information at a prearranged group meeting.  I am jetting off to Mauritius and South Africa in less than two weeks.  Six nights in Mauritius and an add on to South Africa with a three night stop over in Makalali Game Reserve complete with six safaris.  Between the juggling of caring for Merv and Mel, the shopping for necessary and not so necessary holiday items and the arranging of Merv's respite and subsequent shopping I will be relieved when I finally step onto the plane!  My planned escape, bad arm or not,  has been executed for some months and finally the finishing touches are almost complete.  Before I left work in March I had paid the deposit.  After I retired I used part of my superannuation to pay the balance of this once in a lifetime holiday.  I can almost hear the lions roar and see the giraffes gracefully gallop across the plains.

No comments: