Sunday 15 September 2013

Disability Poor

Merv's shoes were looking a little worse for wear and a quick check of the soles and I knew it was time.  Time to bin them! A couple of years ago I bought Merv a pair of Velcro strapped walking shoes. I didn't hesitate to part with $250 for them.  They looked good, they fitted well and within six months they were in the bin.  That was when I decided my $250 was poorly spent.  I am not the only one standing up and crying out - 'Why is it so expensive to have a disability?  Why do I have to pay so much more because of my disability?'  The list is endless;  shoes, clothes, anything which needs adjustment including vehicles, household appliances and mobility aids. 
I gave my predicament some thought;  I could go and buy another pair of shoes for $250 or I could ask others what they do.  My favourite answer from other carers is to buy regular joggers with Velcro straps from K-Mart or similar outlets.  Jim Kidd has been our favourite choice of shoe store.  I can buy two pairs of shoes with Velcro for $50 each. 
Today we were in BigW buying a birthday present for a little three year old.  The toy section was a few steps away from the men's shoe range and I took a minute to search the shelves.  'Take me, take me,' I felt the size 8 Velcro strapped Dunlop KT Walkers shout out.  They were Merv's size and cost an amazing $30!  We found Merv a seat and tried them on.  A perfect fit.  Not so many years ago I would especially search for KT Walkers for Merv.  The little tag on the shoes stated the KT Walkers have been around for 30 years.  'Yes,' I thought, I have bought them many times before and we have been happy with them.  I know where to start next time we are on the hunt for quality new shoes for Merv.

No comments: