Sunday 22 September 2013

One Arm

We are experiencing a Spring like no other.  Usually by this time of the year the weather is warm and we are basking in the sun wearing T-shirts and a sunhat.  Today the wind howled and chilled our bones.  It is even colder than winter!
We had no plans today and I suggested a trip to Mirrabooka Shopping Centre to get a few things including a friend's birthday card.  It's Sunday and there are only a few shoppers to be seen. Perfect for us. 
Merv struggled with his walking today and toppled a few things off the shelves as we manoeuvred together through the narrow shopping  aisles.  Nothing breakable thank goodness.
I carried our heavy shopping in a sturdy bag and we returned home for lunch.  Only an hour later my right arm, just below the elbow screamed in pain.  The heavy bag was the only thing I could think of which could have caused the pain.  I continued cooking cakes and cleaning the house as time is limited in the next few days.  I applied heat rub and took my homeopathic drops for muscle and joint pain.  Now I am just waiting for it to disappear.
I began to imagine what would happen if my arm continues to scream every time I use it.  I wondered how I would manage Merv's shower this afternoon, but it wasn't difficult until it was time to put on his bed socks.  Two hands are needed!  I inhaled and took my time, knowing it can only get better.
About ten years ago I pulled a muscle in my back which caused excruciating pain every time I walked.  I had to go to the chemist in a large shopping centre for medication.  I hobbled slowly into the shop which was located at one end of the centre.  I was horrified to find they did not have the medication I needed and they put on their friendly smile and said,  "You can try the other chemist" I hobbled back to my car as the little old ladies with their walking frames overtook me and drove home.  The other chemist was at the other end of the shopping centre and it would have taken me more than an hour to walk there considering my pace at the time.  Fortunately a week later I was back to normal.  I have never forgotten that experience and I thank God each day for my good health and mobility.

No comments: