Friday 13 September 2013

Aladdin's Cave

I am a crazy shopper, sometimes I win but often I don't.  I can spend most of the day looking for something and no matter how hard I look, it just can't be found.  I am the shopper who up-ends the neat piles of T-shirts and jumpers looking for the elusive size or colour, which obviously was never manufactured in the first place!  The size, the colour, the shape all made for other fussy shoppers but not me.  At times I am rewarded with the elusive purchase and I revel in my amazing detective skills.
Today I took to the Op Shop.  They are often an Aladdin's Cave brimming with pre-loved treasures.
I am looking for a black cardigan.  Yes, just a black cardigan, a simple black cardigan which continues to elude me.  Throughout the winter I bought:  the grey cardigan, the cream cardigan with the black stripes and the multi cream and black cardigan with sparkles.  I bought that one when I was desperate for a dressy black one but now regret it.
Last week I visited two Op shops to no avail but today I hit the jackpot!  There on the hanger among the well worn coats and cardigans which had given up fighting the lint and tissue assaults hung my prize.  It was black, all black, no stripes, not a sparkle in sight.  It wasn't new but it wasn't old and withered either.  It sat upon my shoulders and hugged me without accentuating the bits I need to hide. It felt like a trusted friend and it smiled at me when I checked the price tag.  $4!  The sparkly cardi had cost me $70!  Along with my prize black cardi I bought two used books for a total of $3.  Altogether $7, which otherwise could have cost over $100. 
I had a bounce in my step as I left the shop knowing my little contribution will help a needy family.  Maybe a couple of much needed groceries.  What goes around, comes around.

No comments: