Wednesday 12 September 2018

HD Hindsight

It seemed profound at the time but in hindsight it's just commonsense.  On Tuesday I like to go to the gym before seeing Merv at 10am but the deputy manager invited a Huntington's advisor to Merv's care facility.
I was asked to join the meeting along with the clinical nurse.  There was the regular questions of medication and symptoms.  Then we discussed HD behaviours.  I should have known, I should have figured it out myself.  Someone should have let me know.
During our round table discussion I explained some of Merv's new behaviours.  Like his behaviour at the dining table at lunchtime.  He is happy to eat his lunch getting at least a couple of mouthfuls on his adult bib.  When he has finished his main meal and dessert he shouts out, 'FINISHED.'  I thought it was just bad behaviour but I was wrong.  It was explained that Merv will often feel he is out of his comfort zone and becomes disorientated.  Where had my Merv of all these years gone?  Who is this man who holds my hand, lets me feed him and is overwhelmed by too much noise and movement.
In hindsight I really should have known.


Cruising together in 2008

No comments: