Sunday 3 November 2013

Mel's Birthday

Mel Birthday Girl and Dustin
Today is not Mel's Birthday but I made her a birthday cake and we celebrated her upcoming day at Sizzlers Restaurant.  She has insisted she celebrate her birthday at Sizzlers and so be it.  Who am I to refuse?  Mel wore her birthday badge, chose her birthday clothes and put on her make up which Merv and I gave her as a present. Family birthdays are a time enjoyed by all, especially Mel.
Mel's birthday is Wednesday 6 November, Dustin will be at work, Merv is busy and birthdays are always celebrated in our small family.  Dustin ran 5kms this morning in the 'Colour Run' which raises money for charity.  Money is raised for Perth's children's hospital Princes Margaret Hospital.  Dustin arrived here at 1pm and we finally made it to Sizzlers at 1:30pm.  At least we were hungry!  I was surprised to see the restaurant quiet with only a few patrons.  Admittedly it was well after midday but not everyone eats early.  As a family we have frequented Sizzlers many times in the past.  The price was more competitive and buffets were popular. 
We all ordered a main meal and selected a variety of salads from the salad bar to complement our chosen dish.  Merv no longer eats salad but he enjoyed the pumpkin soup and bread roll. After his barramundi main, Merv enjoyed two small desserts; chocolate mousse and later apple crumble with custard.   I added a little dish of smarties and mini marshmallows to keep him smiling.  When I dipped my hand in to share them with him, he scooped them up in his hand and handed me the empty bowl! We were like little kids stuck in a candy shop!

Watermelon base & jelly filling
Yoghurt and fresh strawberries to complete
 
I made Mel a birthday cake with a  difference.  All without: flour, sugar, and chocolate. Mel loved it.  I had wondered what type of birthday cake I could make which we could enjoy after a Sizzlers lunch.  So I created my own recipe:  A watermelon jelly cake.  Yesterday I bought half a watermelon, slicing off a generous plate size piece.  I lined a spring-form cake tin with baking paper before adding the
Birthday Cake Celebration
round of watermelon.  I made a lime sugar free jelly and poured it over the watermelon once it cooled and began to set.  Once set I made a strawberry sugar free jelly and added it to the pan and left this in the fridge.  After picking up Mel from her unit this morning.  We removed the watermelon/jelly cake from the cake tin and decorated it with fat free Greek strawberry yoghurt and fresh strawberries.  Hey Presto, fat free no sugar added birthday cake.  We used sparklers to sing Happy Birthday and Mel loved it so much she asked to take some home to her house mates and best friend!  Yes, Mel will have another birthday celebration on Wednesday.  She may have up to 4 more celebrations during the week with her various clubs and friends.  Every birthday is a celebration and more.



No comments: