Friday 22 November 2013

Left Hanging

PictureI have considered visiting the local Arafmi carer's support group for sometime.  I have picked up flyers at the clinic and even jotted down the information at another clinic.  In 2000 I attended every meeting for the whole year and then I stopped.  The meetings were exactly what I needed at the time.  The benefit from fellow carers helped me; to share, listen, learn and put life into perspective.  Thirteen years is a long time between visits.  It's a long time whether you say it out loud or write it.  It remains a very long time.  The old saying; 'It's never too late to start again,' rings true.
Merv was off to his day centre.  I called in to see Mel and drop off her new bathroom trolley and some of her shopping from yesterday.  I checked the road map again and headed off.  It was only five minutes away and I arrived early.  I wasn't surprised I was the only one there.  I sat in the meeting room.  I checked my iPhone, wrote my shopping list, sent a few messages and chatted with a staff member.  By 10:10am I gathered no one was coming today.  I had rang and confirmed the meeting yesterday.  I rang again only to find the group were meeting a local coffee shop!  There I had sat alone in the meeting room, just hanging, waiting to be part of the group.  I had the choice of driving to the café or just going elsewhere.  I chose to meet the group at the café.  Around the table sat two office staff and three carers.  I ordered my coffee and sat eagerly chatting and listening for the next hour or so.  They were all 'new' carers but I felt as if I had finally come home!

No comments: