Sunday 13 April 2014

Day 2 Cape to Cape

The beautiful Willyabrup Cliffs

This morning I was awake before the alarm.  I staggered down the stairs to the kitchen below.  Ouch!  the top of my legs ached with every step! Yes, all those steps we climbed yesterday!  I was pleased my beach training prevented any pain in my calves.  The day is just as warm as yesterday with whiffs of cooling breezes on the beach and cliff tops. The bus arrived at Moses Rock car park where we had finished yesterday.  We walked on the cliff top past Moses Rock, a well known abseiling site.  For most of the day we could see our destination, Grace Town in the distance.  The track was easier today winding through the low vegetation on the cliffs,

The rocky cliff face we slid down!
down more steps across more beaches and up more steps!  The first half of the day was easy and we stopped for lunch at an alcove where the ocean thundered around pounding the rocks along the small beach.  We stopped and chose a rock to perch our weary bodies, to eat our salad rolls and spend a little time to chill and relax.  After lunch we are back up the large sand dune ahead and the nice easy path we were used to has turned to into an uneven rocky track for several kilometres to come.  The rocks become harder to negotiate and soon I am following others and copying where they place their feet.  Suddenly we are unable to locate the Cape to Cape sign until someone notices it wedged between the rocks on the rumbling face of the cliff.  "Oh goodness me," I mutter under my breath.  My walking poles are stuck under my arm and I sit on my butt and slide down to the ledge, half way down the rocky cliff face.  Bill turns and asks how I am going, there is nothing to say but I hope I am doing well!  It is relief to reach the rocky path and head away from the cliff face.  The rocks continue until suddenly we turn the corner and Grace Town is right there in front of us.  We scramble down the last of the rocks to the road and walk around to the car park where our bus and the faster walkers have assembled.  We have only walked 16kms over five hours today.  My water bladder still contains over 500ml.   We return to our apartments, shower and put on warm clothes for the sunset nibbles and wine at Redgate beach.   We arrive before sunset and enjoy wine and nibbles while the sun sets over the Indian Ocean.  It's been a great day.

Sunset over the Indian Ocean

No comments: