Sunday 6 April 2014

Mel Never Alone

I'm a bit of a worry wart, especially when it comes to Mel.  Life has thrown her ongoing challenges from the age of nineteen months to now.  Her first hurdle in life was asthma. It's in the family genes but Mel's asthma put her in hospital over forty times including twice in an intensive care unit. All of this before the age of twelve.  On her sixteenth birthday instead of a party Mel experienced psychosis, later diagnosed with Schizophrenia.  With the help of many family, friends and professionals Mel has had good years and bad.  Fortunately since 2002 a change of meds has made all the difference to her life.   Last year she found out she is HD  positive. I know there are many people who lives are much worst than Mel's, but if I had known what lie ahead for her I would have battled harder.  We have visited all types of medical and non medical professionals and provided numerous opportunities for her.  At times I have to realise life is what it is.  We are so very pleased she is happy and has an active social life and many friends.
Whenever I am away family rally around Mel, especially big sister to ensure she is safe and happy.  I am away for only ten days and this holiday I am not travelling overseas. 
I will always find time to ring or text her, especially when I am away.

No comments: