Monday 14 April 2014

Day 3 Cape to Cape


Grass Trees in the background
There is a promise of rain in the air but it holds off during our half day walk today.   Our walk begins much further south in shady Karri forest, beginning at Contos camp ground and finishing 6.5kms later at Hooley/Road/Davis Road intersection.  Bill said the walk is a: 'stroll in the park.' and I ask myself if I should leave my walking poles in the bus or take them with me.  I decide to take them and I was glad I did as the first km was downhill and rocky but soon lead into a wide shady forest track.  Another hiking group also shared the track with us and we passed them as they stopped for a break and likewise they later passed us.  Once again our group soon separated into two groups, I started in the first group and later joined the second group.  It was an easy walk which led to much sharing and exchanging of information, as what happens when a group of individuals begin to bond together.  The track began with a scene of grass trees and later the Karri forest provided privacy and much needed shade.  Our hike ended as we spotted the bus in the distant and we celebrated our final hike with a platter lunch at a local family owned winery.  Bill's wife, Velma had prepared platters of cheese, meat, salads, olives and crusty breads to share.  

At the end of the track
Bill bought a range of wines and we ate our celebration meal in a room in the comfort of the winery's reception building.  Bill later offered to take us to Yahava in Margaret River for the very best coffee.  Myself and one other hiker took up his offer!  I later shopped for a quick meal in the apartment and a much deserved rest. 
Celebrating with a platter lunch

No comments: