Saturday 5 April 2014

Keeping Active

I miss our walks together.  Merv and I used to walk hand in hand down the street, around the block and back home again for a cuppa.  The heat of the summer has almost passed but our daily walks are now just memories.  Merv's stamina and balance have unfortunately been affected in the last six months.  At times it is difficult for him to stand on the spot.  This evening he almost bowled me over as he lost his balance and was about to fall against the furniture before I steadied him.  My toe is still sore; the toe he accidentally stood on while regaining his balance!
The HD day centre has recently began a physical exercise program which includes sitting and standing exercises.  The standing exercises can be completed with the person holding onto the back of a chair for balance.  I was so thrilled to hear about the program I asked for the exercises to be emailed to me.  I have printed them off and we will endeavour to give them a go.


Our bodies were made to be active throughout the day and I find Merv sitting more and more.  A little suitable exercise will relieve my concern and help Merv to attain a little more independence and hopefully a fitter body.

No comments: