Saturday 19 July 2014

Eleven Months

We have a new edition to the family.  It's taken eleven months, a lot of preparation, form filling and apprehension of approval.  On Monday a van pulled up in our driveway and our 'baby' was delivered.  The story began last August with a letter stating Merv's appointment was scheduled for January.  Even though I complained over the phone we were kept on hold and our appointment was not changed.  We were given a foster one to use while we waited.  We did make good use of it, taking it out and putting it through its paces.  It did well and met all our expectations.
I gather you are wondering what the heck I am on about?  Well, we (should I say Merv) is the proud owner of a brand new Invacare wheelchair.  It has remained unnamed.  What do you nickname a wheelchair?  Would you go cute with; 'speedy' or old fashioned with, 'Arnold' maybe 'Arnie?'  that has a nice ring about it.  I will suggest it to Merv.  I wonder if he will laugh or think naming a wheelchair is taking things just a little too far.

New addition to the family, Arnie!
Arnie has all the regular features, he is all black, he's not Italian but could pass for one.  He is upper class with his brakes on the wheels and another set on the hand grips.  No more racing down hills with the wheelchair taking me on an Olympic sprint.  I am in control.  Though we will continue to avoid steep hills, it just can't be done!  Merv is 90kgs and I am only 60kgs!
We are so relieved the chair has been approved and finally delivered to our door.  It is valued at $1200 AUD and has been fully funded with government funding through the Occupational Therapy department at our local public hospital.  We are very thankful.
Though the winter chill continues to dampen our desire for long walks, we are already planning a multitude of spring walks (with Merv in his wheelchair).  I smile as I can see us together, the picture complete with a picnic basket full of delectable goodies and the sun shining in a bright
blue sky.  I can hardly wait!

No comments: