Sunday 2 February 2014

Size Matters

After my sister pruned my Agonis hedge the other bushes in the front garden appeared rather sheepish and unkempt.  I was left to my own devices and figured a little trimming was needed.  I pulled out the largest ladder from the shed and armed with a pair of hedge cutters and another tool, which looks a lot like a bolt cutter; but I know it's not!
My hat sat cautiously on my head as the sun beat down and I climbed the ladder, snipping and snapping at the first and second bushes.  One hour in and they were looking good.  The next bush, a native bottlebrush
loomed higher than the rest.  I climbed as high as I dare and snip, snap, wap and no matter my tactic I wasn't winning.  Time for plan B.
I carefully inserted the blade into my Ryobi battery powered saw.  I stood with my feet firmly on the ground, pressed the trigger and let loose.   Branch after branch lay butchered on the ground, the saw grunted (I am sure the locals were cursing the noise) but my adrenaline was pumping!  No more ladders needed here.  I have been cursed years before with the title of the, 'Phantom Pruner,' the proof sadly weeping before me.  My handsome bush, disfigured and sad. 
I put away the ladder; I won't be needing it anytime soon.

No comments: