Wednesday 26 February 2014

50 Years

I look in the mirror and yes I am definitely fifty years older!  I hardly remember the little six year old who left England for the promise of life in Australia.  Fifty years is a very long time.  There have been births, lots of them including Dustin and Mel and there have been deaths.  My father passed away many years ago and my brother's daughter aged eleven.  There have been happy marriages and not so happy ones.  Throughout the good times and the sad times we have stuck together.
It is Saturday, the second day of our get together and people are shopping, sightseeing and waiting for other family members to arrive.  The sun is warm, the air conditioner cooling and the view from the deck mesmerising.  Mel and I call the sun reflecting of the shimmering water; 'diamonds on the water.' It is a magical moment.

50 Years In Australia family video surprise
It is later in the afternoon and we have planned our celebration seafood barbeque dinner with all the trimmings.  Everyone is here.  The siblings, their children, the great grandchildren and of course Mum is enjoying every moment.  We wondered how she would fare away from the comfort of her Jason recliner but all is well in the world.  My niece from Darwin who flew down for the celebration is having a birthday in a few days and we have bought a token present for her.   Little sister shepherds us into the main lounge room and I go to grab my camera.  I am told I wont need it.  I think we are going to present the birthday present.  We are all seated and behaving ourselves.  We listen to little sister share a secret that her family and big sister's daughter has kept for awhile.  She presses the button on the remote control and up pops, '50 years in Australia.' The theme song is; 'Don't Blink' by Kenny Chesney.  Photos of Mum and Dad's parents and grandparents appear on the screen; some of these photos I have never seen before.

The last photo of our family video

Mum and Dad's photos of their courting days, marriage and family adventures appear next before the siblings and their partners appear.  Merv and I, oh so young and full of life with baby Dustin and Mel.  The video finishes with the grandchildren and great grandchildren.  It is a pleasure to watch over and over again and this is what we do until we can remember almost every photo in sequence!  I hug my little sister as my tears flow.  This memory will last forever.


No comments: