Saturday 8 February 2014

My Lost Friend

I am in the kitchen today.  The phone rang, it was Dustin we spoke for awhile.  The doorbell rang, it was my friend Helen she came in and we chatted over coffee and cake. Back to the kitchen.  I am cooking.  It is like finding a long lost friend.  When the kids were young I cooked.  I cooked because firstly I enjoyed it and it was economical but best of all it was a way to show my love for my family.
During their childhood  I cooked; biscuits, cakes, pikelets, pancakes and best of all desserts.  Hours and hours I spent searching for the elusive recipe, shopping, completing the dreaded prep and peering through the oven door at my amazing creations. 
Thai Vegetable Stir-Fry with TofuNeedless to say I am no Nigella or Jamie Oliver, I have suffered numerous disasters and resorted to a packet of biscuits for dessert many times.  A little placard in my childhood home said, 'If at first you don't succeed, try try again.'  Yes I did.
Since Merv became ill I have cooked basic cakes and boring dinners.  He is a meat and three veggies man.  I am little more liberated and prefer stirfry and interesting salads.  Since our recent Tuesday afternoon cooking adventures with Mel, my love of cooking has been awakened with vigour!
Recently I had reason to reminisce over childhood favourite dishes and the not so favourite!  I remember my Mum often cooked rice pudding for dessert.  It was never a favourite but later in life as an adult I now understand it was filling, sweet and economical. My Mum was well known for her tasty casseroles and stews.  I was horrified when one of my first boyfriends visited me at home and he was asked to stay for lunch.  Mum served up one of her amazing stews and he refused to eat it.  Obviously his Mum lacked culinary talent!  Our relationship was short lived.
Today's creations in my kitchen are vastly different from twenty years ago.  I like to think they are vastly improved, healthier and tastier than ever before!

No comments: