Saturday 15 February 2014

The Yard Stick

SLAZENGER UK SIZE 12 BLACK LEATHER VELCRO CHILD JOGGERS ~ AS NEWAlmost a month ago Merv was struggling to put on his shoes.  They are soft joggers with Velcro instead of shoe laces.  The old saying, 'You have to be cruel to be kind,' is not always kind but I stick to it to encourage Merv to be as independent as possible. 
I talked to him about his shoes and how to put them on and showed him, but to no avail. 
I succumbed and each morning I put on his shoes and take them off for his shower at night.
I watched him this morning trying to put on his trousers, they have an elastic waist and no zip.  It seems his hands are rendered useless and he is trying to put them on using only his feet.  I talk to him again and once again and he manages for now.  My heart sinks as I realise I will soon be doing this also.  Unlike a child who grows and reaches milestones relevant to their age, Merv is steadily losing his independence.  The yard stick is not measuring his achievements, only his decline.  I know the journey ahead, I have seen it before. 
I am going to enjoy the day and let tomorrow look after itself.

No comments: