Wednesday 19 February 2014

Mandela

I'm a little stressed. I've been getting ready for our weekend away. It's all coming together with many of us pitching in, but I need a break.  It's Wednesday and I have the whole day ahead of me.  I carry on with ongoing tasks at home before heading for the cinema.  I am by myself and buy a ticket to see the movie, Mandela. 

Standing outside the Apartheid Museum 2013
Only four months ago I holidayed in South Africa.  I was just a passer by, just breezing through for a few days.   I visited the confronting Apartheid Museum and completed a personal tour of Mandela's original house in Soweto.  The house is now a museum and a popular tourist attraction.
Before my holiday I revisited the history books and watched numerous films and documentaries of Mandela's life.
 The movie had me sitting on the edge of my seat at times, it made me gasp in horror and bought me to tears.  The horror of the reality cannot be ignored.  One amazing man who through his trials and determination encouraged peace among his people and brought much needed change to South Africa.

No comments: