Sunday 9 February 2014

Mum's Birthday

It is a lazy Sunday morning in Perth.  The rest of the world is waking up and turning on the telly to watch the Winter Olympics.  We are preparing in haste to celebrate Mum's 84th birthday.
Yesterday I cooked and cleaned.  I have no idea why the house gets grubby in a week with only two of us living here, but alas it does and I clean it.  The oven has helped me turn out homemade olive and sundried tomato bread,  banana and blueberry cake and a scrumptious upside down plum cake we fashioned into the necessary birthday cake.    
The day was warm but not too hot, Dustin picked up Mum and chauffeured her to my house in his flashy blue Holden Commodore.  Mel was busy stabbing veggies on wooden skewers as a healthy choice to cake.  Merv was watching the Olympics and I, as expected was running around being the Mummy. 
We had enough food to feed a small army.  My younger sister arrived with son in tow bearing gifts.  She created another amazing fruit cake (a roaring trade could be had at Christmas), healthy sausage rolls much to Mel's delight and offered us a huge bowl of home-grown figs.  Mel and I consider figs to be just as good, if not better than chocolate! Little sister also bought a strapping young tree which grows its own chocolate bars.  Well not quite, it's called a, 'Black Sapote, Chocolate Pudding Fruit,' The picture on the label resembles green limes but promises chocolate tasting on the inside.  I imagine the tree covered in chocolate bars at Easter but dismiss my fantasy as Mum arrives and we wish her a happy birthday.  There is already a collection of cards and presents on the table to open, coffee to make and afternoon tea to share.  Mum is in fine spirits  and we sing Happy Birthday as the cake complete with candles alight is placed in front of her.  She blows them out and cuts the cake.  Dustin is my official photographer and misses the candle blowing bit!  Oh well, next year!  I am happy the cake turned out alright.  It has been a lovely
afternoon shared together.

No comments: