Monday 19 May 2014

What's Your Spiel?

I put down the phone and sighed.  Customer service isn't what it used to be.  After pressing six different numbers on the key pad being directed by a machine I am eventually put through to a living breathing person.  I am ecstatic.  I discuss my query and the person turns into a robot.  It's the company spiel, a learned message delivered with a small smudge of compassion.  Nothing personal, one size fits all.  It takes time and persistence to talk the spiel reader into listening to your concern.   Sometimes it works and the tone of the conversation changes and once again you are a person of worth.  Other times there is no change except for the next spiel and the proverbial, 'I'm sorry, we are unable to help you on that.'   There are also the spiels by smaller companies and community services.  Spiels are often condescending; they tend to make me feel like I am five years old and incapable of understanding or common sense.
Only last week I rang to find out when Merv's RAS review would happen, it was already five weeks overdue.  The manager rang me back.  She knew her spiel off by heart and repeated it several times in as many minutes.  Her spiel suggested others were more important and we should wait.  I worked with RAS a few years ago.  New clients are of great importance; providing necessary community services to those in need.  I agreed with the manger.  I was told Merv would have to wait up to six months for his review.  I told her I had worked for RAS and recently met a previous colleague who suggested I ring to enquire as her own workload was up to date. A deep sigh is heard and a RAS worker is booked to complete Merv's review next  Monday morning.

No comments: