Friday 23 May 2014

Unexpected Response

Today I attended a mental health carer's group.  Mel has lived with mental health issues for over twenty years and I thought I had a good understanding of her issues and responses.  What I thought was only applicable to Mel I found out today it can also apply to others.  I am always surprised when Mel doesn't respond emotionally to a situation which I would respond to.  I always thought it was just 'her'.  Today I heard another person's testimony where their loved one did exactly the same.  I was floored.  It was something that is so obvious but had kept me in the dark for so long.  It's a coping strategy.  Where something unexpected happens it is so outside the boundaries of the person, their reaction is stilted. The unexpected response often includes a  time lapse; sometimes hours later or in severe cases months or years.  Just by listening to this person's story, Mel's responses became clearer to me. Bless her.

No comments: