Tuesday 27 May 2014

Cooking Up A Storm

It doesn't seem so long ago I was cooking amazing dinners, baking cakes and biscuits and creating delicious desserts.  Today I thought I may try and recreate these happy memories.  Firstly I went shopping and bought some very tasty looking Sara Lee apple pies!  I already have custard in a carton in the fridge.  Dustin is calling in after work.  He has to travel in peak hour across the city, I know he will be hungry.  I don't have the time or inspiration to make dessert but dinner is another matter! I put Merv to work cutting up carrots which I have already peeled, topped and tailed.  Then we get stuck into six potatoes.  Once again I am peeling and Merv is slicing.  Today I am making everyone's favourite; Shepherd's Pie, also known as Cottage Pie.  It is a mixture of mince, vegetables and gravy topped with mashed potato and cooked lovingly in the oven.  I dice onions, pick fresh thyme from Merv's hanging basket and measure; stock, Worcestershire and soy sauce to create the gravy in which it will cook.  I stir while watching it with my eagle eye.  I don't want it to become dry or burn in the pan before it finishes off in the oven.  I whisk the potato until it shines and looks like silk.  My amazing mince is topped with my silky potato in a casserole dish and placed in the oven.  Dustin arrives and I am chopping pumpkin, brussel sprouts and cabbage.  The apple pies are thrust into the oven to take the chill off them after I have browned the potato under the grill. The Shepherd's Pie is the star of the kitchen.  I serve and we all enjoy my home cooked delight.  No one complains about the apple pies.  It's taken hours to prepare, cook, serve dinner plus the clean up today.  I am pleased I cooked but tomorrow it will be canned soup (again)!

No comments: