Sunday 11 August 2013

Celebration

I sat on the edge of my seat and with every goal kicked I jumped up clapping and applauding, our favourite AFL team;  The West Coast Eagles.  Today they won against Essendon by 53 points.  I had, like many other Eagle fans given up and resigned to the fact our game for the year was over.  Today it was all sparks and victory;  our hope was rejuvenated.  It doesn't have to be sensational for us to celebrate in our house.  Life is an ongoing celebration in itself.  Yes, it was just a footy game, but Merv watches every game from beginning to end, an average of three hours, while I am not so good at sitting for so long.
I had cooked a home baked chocolate cake during the match and it was just out of the oven and still warm.  I covered it with chocolate icing and sprinkled it hap-hazardly with chocolate chips.  We celebrated the Eagles win with
 a glass of Moscato and a slice of my warm moist chocolate cake.  Merv's only word; 'YUMMY!'
After I left work this year I promised myself I would start my own cake baking journey.  No selling or gifting in mind,  just baking for Merv and the family.  In five months I have perfected a homemade banana loaf cake and today we were thrilled how good the chocolate cake tasted.  I no longer spend hours reading recipe books I simply Google what I want and check out the recipes.  I usually use the words; 'easy' or 'quick' or 'simple' plus I add,  'moist.'  It is a wonderland of inspiration which awaits me.  I print and laminate the recipe and add it to my own-style recipe folder.  Most of my 'family favourites,' were birthed the same way.  The chocolate cake recipe will receive the same honour.

No comments: