Thursday 15 August 2013

Too Tired to Party

My body aches, my eyes are drooping, I long for sleep.  A long deep slumber to rejuvenate my soul and my; oh so tired body. Tomorrow I join a group of carers on a fun filled weekend retreat and Merv is booked into weekend respite on the outskirts of the city in a historical cottage.  It should be wonderful but I have spent most of the week checking his Webster Pack has been ordered and his clothes are clean and labelled.  I feel like a headless chook running here and running there, checking my list to ensure I have not forgotten anything of importance.  I pack for Merv and I pack for me and at the end of it, I unpack for Merv and I unpack for me.  Then there is the sorting and the washing which comes at the end.  This is the moment you can't remember actually attending the retreat because all of those pleasant fun memories are quashed with the washing, cleaning and ironing!
I close my eyes and I am  secretly whisked away, imagining I drop Merv off at his respite address and return home to an empty house.  There is nothing to do, but sleep, eat and lounge around.  I put on my favourite movie and enjoy a microwave dinner while stretching on my recliner engrossed in another favourite movie.   My mind continues to whirl and I wake the next day at 10am, make pancakes for breakfast and enjoy them in bed while catching up on a long winded novel.  I take myself to the movies and meet friends for lunch before boarding a boat for a sunset dinner cruise with friends. 
My head bobs forward and I awake with a jolt.  Just a dream and I begin to pack the suitcases.  Merv will be well looked after and I will have fun and unwind for the weekend.  I smile and make a mental note to one day book a respite day just for myself and book myself a few surprises.

No comments: