Monday 12 August 2013

The Pyjama Crisis

Merv raised his voice and demanded he needed to have more pyjamas.  He knew he only had one pair left, the others no longer wearable.  A few days previously his cotton long pants ended their life after developing a large unfixable hole.  We were in Big W the next day and I bought him a pair of fleecy pyjamas.  I took them home, washed, dried and folded them to wear the same night.  They were warm and comfy.
The next morning he complained they had a hole in them and he was quite right.  There was that hole again and they had only been worn once!  They went in the bin and once again Merv only had one pair of pyjamas.
He asked for four pairs of pyjamas and I thought his request a little excessive.  It played on my mind whether he was getting irritable because of his lack of sleepwear or was it the beginning of dementia which 30% of HD patients develop.  His father had HD with dementia.  Maybe it was just me being paranoid about how many pairs of pyjamas anyone should have!
Merv celebrates his 59th birthday this Wednesday and pyjamas was once again on the shopping list.  In K-Mart I found pyjamas, not the cotton button through type, but the T-shirt and matching long pants type.  They were going out for $7 a pack and I rummaged through the packs until I found two in his size.  Target had his size but at $35 a pack I bought one only. 
My next dilemma was how to have them sewn, washed and name tagged before his 2 day respite which begins this Friday.  On went my thinking cap and I used his current pyjamas pants to measure the legs and hem them to prevent any chance of tripping.  I washed and dried them and after he went to bed sewed on name tags.  Today I  re-packaged them in their original packs!
I am hoping he will be delighted and his irritability will soon be a distant memory.

No comments: