Saturday 31 August 2013

Super Handy

August 2012
As a little girl I would help out in the house and garden.  I was taught to dust, vacuum, sweep, clean and clean and clean.  In the garden I knew the difference between a weed and a seedling but not much more.  I never wielded a screwdriver or dug with a spade.  After marriage at the young age of nineteen it was always Merv who did the, 'blokey stuff '.   Long before he became ill he stopped mowing the lawn and digging in the garden.  I believe there is a solution for everything.  I don't know why I believe that, but I do!  The solution for an un-mowed lawn was to call in the landscape designer and have a backyard makeover.  Up came the grass, down went the paving with the water fountain added as a main feature. 
 The water fountain  had been stored in the shed for almost five years and now it is the centrepiece of our garden.  Voila no more grass.  The lawn in the front garden was replaced with paving for our many cars in 2000.  We put the lawn mower on the verge and some handy person took it away.
Since 2010 I have mastered a screwdriver, a hammer, painting, moving furniture and fixing all types of things that break.  U Tube videos and hints on the internet have been my teachers for many household solutions.  Some have been more successful than others!  The 'others' mainly ending up in bin if my fixing didn't quite work.  Sometimes I look at what needs fixing and if it is a cheap item I just bin it. The fixing bit just seems too hard compared to the pleasure of replacing it with something new!

No comments: