Tuesday 27 August 2013

Quirks in Life

I can't believe it's almost five months since I left work.  I don't miss it, but I do miss my colleagues.  Many retirees state they don't know how they had the time to work and I am no different, except my time is spent looking after Merv and keeping Mel on track.  It has its downfalls and lots of upsides!  Merv still enjoys a good joke and we see the funny side of life as we share the quirks that come our way.  Two years ago I bought a couple of beach balls and wrote questions on the them.  I blew them up, with a balloon pump and we played ball together.  I throw the ball to Merv and he reads a question, I answer and vice versa.  On rainy days like today it gives him a little physical activity and stimulates his mind as a bonus.  Two years ago it was easy for him to throw and catch the ball and to read and answer the questions.  Today his actions are far more animated and his speech not so clear.  When the change is right there in your face, it is as good as a slap.  Time waits for no-one.  Independence slips away and Big Bad Harry winks at me, he knows what is happening.
As I tucked Merv up in his bed tonight and wished him a good nights sleep, the future is struck from my mind, it is too hard to contemplate.

No comments: