Thursday 29 August 2013

Fact Versus Hope

Today was an upside down day.  Usually I spend Thursday with Mel.  I took her to her appointment at 10am before she joined the others at the villas for free ten pin bowling in Morley.  She was all geared up to go and I was left to contemplate my day by myself.  It's Fathers Day on Sunday and we have booked a rustic Swan Valley restaurant in hope of enjoying a scrumptious lunch time feast complete with free wine tasting.  I wondered if I should buy Merv a new shaver for Father's Day.  I don't know why I should buy him a present, he is my husband not my father!  I bought his last shaver two years ago.  I had no idea what questions to ask or what to look for.  I just went to the Shaver shop and said I wanted a new shaver and they sold me one!  It's not the best shaver, it's probably not a bad shaver but it could be better.  Today I am a little more enlightened.  I have scoured the Choice pages and found some suggestions for better shavers.  I thought I might just try Harvey Norman who sell a vast range of electrical goods.  The lady sales assistant went into a detailed explanation of  their prized Phillips shaver reduced from $249 to $199.  I almost giggled as she put the dummy shaver to her face pretending she was shaving.  I was unimpressed and left.  I have already bought Merv some of his favourite chocolates with a Woolworths reward card received this week in the post.  I use my Everyday Woolies card every time I shop and I receive 4 cents a litre off my petrol and every now and then a little reward card appears and I spend it, because it's free money.  This card was for $15.  I  shop in Woolworths because Coles is further away from home. You get used to a supermarket overtime and I could go down the aisles blindfolded and still get my regular groceries.  Amid all this research shopping I arrived at the Vehicle Registration department armed with my Centrelink letter, concession form filled out and my Vehicle Registration renewal.  I waited with my tiny ticket, hoping the matching letter and number would appear on the screen sooner than later. Finally my  ticket number flashed up and I could talk to someone.  Ten minutes later I found my hope was not what I thought it would be.  The 100% concession was factual, but only for the licensing component, it didn't include the listed insurance and other fees.  I did save $70 over six months, a total of $140 per annum.  That's a bonus,  now to find the remaining $150!  What we hope for, doesn't always come to fruition!

No comments: