Sunday 30 June 2013

Dealing with the Difficult People

Is Harry just looking on, maybe from a cloud above knowing he is causing trouble?  Mel came down with a sore throat and came to stay with us for 4 days and nights.  I emptied my cupboards stock piling various sore throat medicines and lozenges and commenced a timetable of what she had, when she had it and when she should have it next.  Hospital ward once again.  I should have been a nurse.
Her sore throat disappeared in a couple of days but she couldn't utter a word without screeching like a frightened parrot in a thunder storm.  Days later it wasn't any better even though we had increased the plausible remedies and even added some prayers.
Eventually Mel returned home.    Mel has been asthmatic since she was 19 months and has been in hospital well over 40 times.  She was in Intensive Care twice when she was 8 years old and we almost lost her.  Last year she was admitted to the local hospital for 2 days with asthma.  When she was discharged she came to live with me for a week before going home.
Mel shares a modern unit in a supportive accommodation site with her housemate who smokes regularly outside on the patio.  Mel's housemate leaves the sliding door open each time and the unit fills with the chilly air from outside.  I asked her nicely if she would close the door behind her and she said she would.  It didn't work, not even once.  I wrote a note and stuck it on the door with blu-tac.  She removed it.  I made a sign on my computer and put cute little flowers under the words,  "Please Close the Door, Mel has asthma"   I laminated it, it looked so nice and I put it on the door.  She took it down and left the door open again!
I emailed the newly appointed supervisor who emailed me back and said she understands, she also has asthma and will speak to the housemate.  She did but it didn't work.  Today I visited Mel's unit and the sliding door was wide open and my flowered laminated note torn off the door and discarded. 
I just want Mel to be well and warm but I am fighting a battle which I didn't see coming.
I will try another email and hopefully a face to face visit with the supervisor in the next few days.  I only want what is best for Mel, she has a lot to deal with.  I feel Harry is having a chuckle.

No comments: