Sunday 16 June 2013

Friends, Family & Foe

The sun shone today and the washing hung on the line drying with the aid of a slight breeze.  It was so warm we enjoyed lunch under the patio and played some board games and dozed while pretending to read the paper.
Later in the afternoon as we sat and caught up with our weekly TV our friends rang and asked if they can visit Tuesday afternoon.  During the last 3 years while I worked, our friends faithfully arrived each 2nd Thursday at 3:30pm until 5pm when I returned home.  Another volunteer happily came on the alternative week.  After I retired they have visited a few times and rang many more.  They even arranged for a relative to cut down our 30 year bangalow palm which had decided life was too hard and gave up the ghost.  I think it was just too thirsty.
How amazing some people are.  We have been blessed with these friends and with our son and daughter, my sister and my mum. 
We don't hear from the rest of the siblings, or the many friends who said they would call and never have.  My dear friend from church suddenly became very distant when Merv became ill in 2010.  We had known her for 20 years and had a wonderful friendship.  In 2010, she sent us a Christmas card which read, "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, best wishes from ......"  I threw the card away.  I dug through the previous years' cards and found her Christmas card from 2009. It was filled with warm and fuzzy feelings from her to us.
My neighbour has a good heart and has found herself  'stuck' with all types of charity cases.  20 years ago she befriended a woman who had Huntington's Disease and my neighbour would recount her relationship with her, which had many pitfalls. 
When Merv received his HD diagnosis we waited 6 months before telling our kids.  I don't remember when I told my neighbour and I remember she didn't say much but I do remember she stepped backwards.  They say body language tells as much more than verbal language. 
I sometimes wonder if it just me.  I know I am protective towards Merv.  Unfortunately after talking to other women who have a husband, child, parent with a disability the story is often the same for them.  I wonder if the new National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) will help people to feel more confident with people with disabilities.

No comments: