Wednesday 26 June 2013

My Birthday

Tomorrow, June 27th is my birthday.  I didn't get to chose the day.  If I had, I would have chosen a day in mid March or maybe October.   Either of these times is almost a guarantee of a balmy warm day.  June is cold and wet.  Last year the sun came out to celebrate and again it is promised for tomorrow.  Alas I have many memories of my school years ducking the showers and jumping puddles on my birthday. It even rained on my 21st.  Such joy to have sunshine all day.
I don't remember too much of any birthday before I married. I lie,  I remember my 13th birthday in 1970 when I had my first party which was a reflection of the era - a hippie party.  I loved it. 
All those other birthdays I remember receiving a card and a $1 note (yes, a brown coloured note with pictures of Aboriginal drawings, hmmm I am older than I think)  Nanny from the UK would also send a card and 10 shillings; the equivalent of $1 AUD.  Her note always said to buy myself an ice cream with it.  I am sure I bought plastic jewellery from Coles in the city, when such a store existed.  I remember buying the plastic baubles with a metal chain at a cost of 20c!
Merv on the other hand could not have a birthday without ensuring it was a day of high remembrance.  His family, his father rather than his mother came from a birthday celebrating tradition.  Every child and grandchild were visited for their special day and a made a fuss of.  There were always presents (not a card and a $1), cake, lots of people and a jolly good time.  It was always about family.  I liked this idea and I adopted it and made it our own.  Cake, photos, parties, people and of course presents (never money).  The tradition continues.  Dustin was away in the US for one birthday and we rang him on the mobile and still went out and celebrated his day later when he returned.  Mel spends months planning and re-planning what she is going to do, who she will invite and often how many celebrations she will have.  There are always at least 2 if not 3.  Family and then an array of friends to celebrate with. Gifts, cake and more food, but the people are the most important.
Dustin was horrified to find I did not have a planned 21st birthday party.  I stayed at home and people arrived;  my friend from high school Jane,  Susan, Roger and kids, Vicki, Russell and kids and Merv's Great Auntie had given Merv a cake she had made for my special day (she also made our wedding cake).  We had a great time.  Merv of course was thrown a 21st by his parents at the Pagoda Ballroom in South Perth.  We married when he was 22.
For my 30th birthday Merv and I spent a weekend in Geraldton, mainly because I had never been there.  I've never been back, but I did enjoy the weekend and the drive there and back.  We took the inland road on the way back and witnessed what looked like a huge wolf sauntering through the bush.  The wheat silos were interesting to see.  For my 40th birthday I celebrated with family with breakfast at the Rose and Crown Hotel in Guildford.  I don't remember what else I did that day.
My 50th was a family cruise to the South Pacific from Sydney.  A great time except Mel was constantly sea sick. 
Tomorrow I am meeting my sister Susan at the Dome with Mel for an early morning tea before taking the train to Perth.  We have a lunch reservation at Jamie Oliver's restaurant in William Street.  A little shopping, a bit of fun and back home to watch the Eagles (yes on a Thursday night) play Essendon at Patterson Stadium (Subi).  It will be a good day,  there will people, presents, (no cake), celebrations and the sun will shine.

No comments: