Monday 17 June 2013

Missing Links

Chilly today but managed a walk together by the Swan River.  Our roof leaks when the rain and the wind join together.  I think it is the flashing around the air conditioner, but I'm no roof plumber.  Steady rain, no wind is no problem.
I rang the bloke today who painted our roof in 2009.  He did an excellent job.  Just like the commercial on TV,  I have been spotted staring adoringly at my orange roof, there are no more faded patches.  Just all over orange and quite mesmerising when staring for any length of time!
I rang his mobile number and a voice coldly announced the number was disconnected.  "Oh" I said.  That was that.  I had imagined he would say my roof was just as perfect as it was when he sprayed it in 2009.  Of course he spent time cementing the capping and replacing broken roof tiles.  We spent our 'Stimulus Money' given out by the Rudd government in 2009 on our roof project.  I think it was $900 per taxpayer.  We kept the money in WA by adorning our roof with it!  Yes our investment in Australia is our roof,  not an eyesore but a perfectly painted orange statement.
So where is the roof plumber who will never stare at my roof again and agree with me how good it still looks?  Did he change his profession like I did in 2004?   Did he retire like I did 3 months ago?  Has he moved interstate or even overseas?   Maybe he is caring for a loved one or what I don't want to think about, maybe he is ill or no longer lives?
Life will continue on and this day will soon blur into many more.  Sadly I will never know his story, but I will continue making mine.

No comments: