Saturday 29 June 2013

What Works and Why?

A glorious day in Perth today.  We went to Whiteman's Park this afternoon about 2:30pm.  It was the same time as we reached our maximum temperature of 23 degrees.  A taste of Spring in the air and not a breath of wind to douse the picture.  It has been such a busy week finishing today with my last of 4 Creative Writing classes with author Helen Ilnes.  I fell into a peaceful slumber tonight and missed most of Tomic doing battle at Wimbledon.
This morning during class I was told writing my story long hand, yes with a pen or a pencil on paper just like we did during our school days is the best way.  What?  I see myself sitting at my computer and my nimble fingers dancing over the keys, barely touching while bringing to life the words on the screen before me.  Long hand, on paper, with a pen?  I repeat this over in my mind.  Surely not, it sounds absurd.  I love the computer, it is so neat, no messy scribbling, no crossing out or funny arrow heads all over the page. Hmm the paper page not the computer screen.  I am dizzy with disbelief.
I listen to the reason and it is simple.  As we look down at a page we concentrate and (what I am told) focus on the task at hand, while on the screen our mind just scans what is written and does not engage the same.  Upon reflection maybe this has more credibility upon the editing of our work rather than the typing of the words.  I do not know.  Maybe I could try it out by writing the story beginning on paper and a separate beginning on the computer and see which one reads better.  It is just an idea.
I will let you know the result of my trial.

No comments: