Sunday 29 October 2017

Wheelie A Mess

A beautiful day with a slight breeze and no rain on the radar.  Mel asked to go to the foreshore after church.  'Why not', we all need a break from the house.
We chuckled when we realised it was a 'children's event',  Mel wasn't interested in making a paper flower or painting a wooden toy.  We enjoyed the sunshine and the crowds weaving in and out of flocks of people and stopping regularly to ensure the kiddies weren't bowled over.  They often just stop without warning and look around at whatever takes their interest!
Fortunately we found disability parking with little effort and returned to our car.
I wheeled Merv up to the car and put on the brakes but only one would work.  The other brake just wouldn't come to the party.  I helped Merv into the car and played around with the mischievous brake to no avail.
This is the same brake which has not worked on two previous occasions.  I had taken it into the local mobility centre to have it fixed but it refuses to stay fixed.  Merv's wheelchair is his legs and his balance, without it he is going nowhere.
I have a long list of expletives which I use during such times, much to the horror of daughter and husband I used them all on this occasion (In the car not in front of little ones) and more than once.
I took photos of the brake and wheel then I climbed my long ladder to prise nails from the top of my pergola (It will be painted on Tuesday, just getting it ready).
I made coffee and read yesterdays paper.  I noted an article on 60 year olds.  It stated more women over 60 are having heart attacks from too much life stress!  I flicked the page and wrote a long wailing email to Merv's Occupational Therapist and the nice bloke who serviced Merv's wheelchair only two months ago.  I included my wheel/brake photos.
It's Sunday and I didn't expect a reply until Monday, therefore I was surprised to receive an email back a few minutes later.  The man who serviced Merv's chair is coming down (an hour from Perth) to fix it Tuesday morning. Yes I will tell him to replace the brake and not just fix it.



No comments: