Saturday 18 February 2017

Emergency

On Thursday I dropped by the baby shop and bought a Baby Monitor.  I had no baby in mind.  I bought it for Merv to use.  He has decided he wants to get up during the night to go to the toilet instead of using his urinal bottle.  Very much a hit and miss affair!
I had ran out of time to read the manual and get the damn thing operating, therefore on Friday night Merv fell with a thud on the bathroom floor.
I had no choice but to ring 000.  It was 4:30am and I had tried unsuccessfully but failed at all attempts to get him off the floor.  I had woken to find Merv sprawled on the bathroom floor.  The floor had been wet and he slipped on his way to his toilet.
I tried sitting him up and asking him to pull himself up using a dining chair with arms to support him.  I then suggested he crawl to the bedroom and use the bed to pull himself up but he was like a trapped spider.  Arms and legs flailing aimlessly with anxiety.
I put some towels under his head, located my mobile phone and rang Emergency. I explained the situation and answered all their questions.  I unlocked the front door, turned on the outside light and waited.
I dressed in case Merv had broken or damaged a limb. It wasn't long before the young man and  woman paramedics arrived.  They were a blessing, managing the situation professionally but with compassion.  They took Merv's blood pressure, made medical observations and assessed him for damaged limbs and body parts.
After ten minutes they had him in sitting position and using a towel under his arms as leverage they pulled him up and sat him on the chair.
Merv refused to go to the hospital and I signed to say that was his decision. 
After he had used the toilet and was tucked up in bed once more, he lay motionless for the rest of the night while I dozed for a few hours.
Needless to say the Baby Monitor is up and running tonight.  Merv has been given instruction how to ring his bell to get my attention and wake me from my slumber.


No comments: