Thursday 12 May 2016

Late Breakfast

I left a message with the person in charge almost a month ago.  A fortnight later there had been no response.  I left another message.  I was left hanging without an answer.  It seemed rather trivial and I didn't want to cause trouble but neither did I want the issue to be left unanswered.
A questionnaire arrived in the post from the same place I was trying so hard to contact.  This was the answer I had been looking for.
Merv had been in respite for two weeks and the day I picked him up he had yet to have his breakfast.  It was already 10am. I had eaten my breakfast hours before and was thinking more about morning tea!
I had enquired why he had to wait so long.  They said they had been busy getting others ready for outings but I was disturbed at the lateness of the hour and their lack of time management.   I voiced my concern while Merv chomped away on his porridge. 
The respite itself had gone well it was only this hiccup at the end.
A month later, two phone calls and a completed questionnaire I finally received a call from the staff member who manages the questionnaires.  She said she was appalled at the lateness of Merv's breakfast and the lack of response from relevant staff.  I agreed with her!
The lady had contacted the staff member who was under the pump in his work but was also apologetic as he had not returned my calls.   I have met this man in question several times.  A nicer and more gentle man would be difficult to find.  A more efficient gentleman than most. 
Thinking about him I would give him a tick, tick, tick but now he has a black cross as well.  I hope he doesn't stumble over that one!
I sigh... another situation shelved and put to rest.   Only the other day I contacted work friends I haven't seen for sometime.  They have rallied around to get me out of the house and help me keep my sanity intact!  We're booking a fortnightly get together at a coffee shop late afternoon on a Tuesday. 
I contact Merv's support agency and request a support worker to stay with Merv while I'm away.  It's only Friday but Tuesday is just around the corner.  They promise a support worker but so far I can only rest my sanity on a promise. 
If the weather is fine on Sunday I will take Merv to the movies to see Florence Jenkins.  It should be funny.  I am trying hard to make my caring role work without floundering. I have also booked Georgy Girl at the Crown Theatre in July.  We were fortunate to obtain wheelchair access tickets.
We both remember the 60's and The Seekers were a large part of Aussie pop music.  Did The Seekers go to London during their heyday and have hits there?  I think so....


A simple bowl of porridge

No comments: