Wednesday 29 May 2013

Shopping for Grandchildren

Wednesdays are grocery shopping days, but only every fortnight. In automation I grab the trolley only to find it is useless and 3 more tries and I have my list out and like a hungry ant on the trail I head off for the first item on my list.  It is not the items on my list which holds my attention but the familiar face of a long ago acquaintance.  After manoeuvring our trolley to prohibit any shopper from grabbing the M & Ms or Smarties we beam at each other and ask, "How long has it been?"  ''Years I reply" and we ask how each of our family members are.

Everyone is fine I hear myself saying (LIAR, LIAR) and she says the same (LIAR LIAR).  She knows my neighbour.  My neighbour has radar for gossip and anything else which can be caught in a downwind.  My acquaintance of old knows, but she's not saying anything and I am not giving anything away. Not today.  So we talk about how old our kids are and she tells me about her grandchildren.  Did she have 13?  Possibly not, I do not remember. I have zilch. 

I would like some grandchildren, even one would do.  I know I can't find one under the cabbages in the cabbage patch.  Not that I grow cabbages or have any intention of doing so.  I am more of the tomato and capsicum breeder.  Getting bored easily and berating the plants for not being prolific in produce is part of my dilemma in growing green and coloured things.  Watering and fertiliser I heard are considered beneficial.

Many years ago I threatened my children with adopting African babies when I turn 60, if they have not done their duty to reproduce and keep the human race advancing. 
Every time my son tells me of another date my mind goes back to the same scene I have dreamt a hundred times.  The girl (forgot to ask what this one's name)  is walking swiftly down the aisle dressed in white and holding a beautiful white bouquet.  My son is standing waiting for her.  He is almost unrecognisable.  he is wearing an upmarket suit is clean shaven and standing at attention (who IS that?)  the music continues and my day dream suddenly has small children running away. 

I am hoping scientists will invent a pill which will take our dreams (good ones that is) and turn them into reality.  Sadly I am closer to 60 this year than 50.  When I go on safari in South Africa in October I am sure I will remember my idle statement of years past.  Being a noteworthy tourist I could arrange for a signed document of the advantages of an Aussie Grandma to African babies/childre.
Somewhere in Perth a nice African family are awaiting a nice Aussie Grandma for their children.  I enjoy the zoo, Sci-tech, movies, McDonalds, wild animals such as koalas and kangaroos and clothes shopping!

Instead of e harmony I am thinking, a matching service;  FUN WITH FAMILY SENIORS.... how about it?

No comments: