Saturday 24 March 2018

Escape to the Shopping Centre

Our local shopping centre was once the hub of excitement but just like our houses they become dated and dreary.  Before we moved into our new home the local shopping centre was immersed in their refurbishment.  There were only seven shops open and no parking.  I shopped elsewhere.
Last July they promoted the opening of  eighty new shops.  I made sure I was there!
When all else is going pear shaped in life a shopping spree or even a browse is pure escapism.  I indulged regularly and I have no regrets.
Merv going into permanent care has opened up a window of free time each morning.  Last Thursday I took the opportunity to attend the grand opening of our new shopping centre.  Even the TV Morning Show were there.  Before 8am the place was crowded.  I took my place in the queue outside department store David Jones and gratefully accepted a hot cross bun offered to those in the line up. Breakfast... yes I had forgotten my morning routine.  I was too late for the free shop bag but I didn't care.  After the official ribbon cutting I wandered around David Jones and made a purchase.  I'll be back for more I thought.  I took time enjoying the H&M stores, the quirky and expensive boutiques.  I bought takeaway coffee from a brand new cafe. They not only had inexperienced staff and new equipment which added to the waiting time.  There were bands playing and dancers entertaining but it was time to leave to visit Merv.  The carpark was full when I headed out.
Later the same day I revisited David Jones enjoying the rambling array of books, the kitchen appliances, and running the tips of my fingers over leather shoes.  I was hooked.  I accepted a glass of champagne and an egg sandwich.  Oh more celebrations in David Jones.

I had a shopping list which included the tried and true range of shops opened months before.  This Sunday I'm taking Mel shopping with me.  There is a fabulous multi coloured coverlet in one Manchester store, a quirky boutique for girls size 12-24 which will leave her wide eyed.  Oh and there is a fabulous book on Sunday readings which I might just stick under my arm and walk over to the sales desk.
Yes escape to the Shopping Centre where I indulge in a little fantasy and forget the reality of life! 


Crowd waiting for the ribbon cutting


My first purchase at David Jones, also first customer


A view of one of the new wings
Free Champagne at David Jones after 5pm








No comments: