Thursday 18 December 2014

Precious Time



She lay on the mattress which was on the floor.   I know why Merv's sister has no bedframe, just a mattress.  A practice to prevent her from falling but it’s not so easy to get up! 

I sat down next to her and held her hand.  It was her 64th birthday and the day had been long for her.  She had many visitors and staff call in to celebrate with her today.  There were flowers, a white bunch and a purple bunch.  I smiled and presented her with an orange and yellow flower arrangement, specially made for her by my local florist. 

She held my hand.  I could tell she was tired and wanted to rest.  We chatted.  Mostly it was me who chatted while she listened to me nattering away.

She grabbled for a sheet of paper which balanced on her knees.  She gave it to me and said it was for me.  A large square of orange craft paper with the words, 'To Pam' scrawled on it.  I was as pleased as punch.  I could see she had carefully thought it out and with a little help from staff had glued on butterflies, angels and baubles.  It is beautiful.  I was very touched.

Each time I visit I bring her presents, feed her at Christmas and Easter never expecting anything in return other than her company and the joy of sharing time with her.  With HD, time is precious for her. We never know when she will be taken from us.

Today was a special day for both of us.

It was a day of significance.  I had promised to bring Grace my future daughter in law with me.  A promise she had remembered. 

I am so pleased they have met.

No comments: