Thursday 25 February 2016

Guilty Holiday

Merv has a great life except that he has Huntington's.  He sits around all day watching TV,  playing games and listening to his iPad with a constant buzz around him.  He is washed, dressed and pampered while all around there is a hive of activity.  He just sits and smiles while listening to his head-banging music of the 60's and 70's.  I even made a new playlist of his songs.  What I consider; 'nice easy listening songs' and I titled it, wait for it, yes,  'Happy Wife'.
I shouldn't feel guilty but I often do.  To ease this guilt I booked a four night holiday in the town of Mandurah.  I booked it for Merv.  When was the last time he enjoyed a holiday, which wasn't respite?Mandurah was once a sleepy holiday hollow of beach shacks one and a half hours travel time south of Perth.  Nowadays with a mostly efficient freeway it is reduced to an hour and the town is more a bustling city with expensive homes and the occasional out of place beach shack.
Near the marina is a collection of chalets where we have booked a disability unit.  We have stayed there several times before.  It is close to everything and a pleasant stroll with Merv's wheelchair to local attractions and shops.  Even the fish and chip shops are close by much to Merv's delight!
I asked Merv what he would like to do while in Mandurah.  I imagined he would ask about the Pinjarra historical area where he can indulge in fresh scones and cream.  I wondered if he would chat about the Peel Zoo where we went several years before. 
He answered he wanted to go to the movies.  "Oh,"  I said.  There are plenty of cinemas close to our home but he wants to go to the movies while away.  So it will be.
I am looking forward to seeing my sister Maureen as she lives in a community close by.  There is a free community concert one evening on the lawn adjacent to our chalet.  Hopefully no head-banging stuff.  I envisage myself lazing in my outdoor chair, sipping on a nice glass of wine while being wooed by the strains of music from the stage.  In reality I'm sure its alcohol free but there's nothing like a day dream!
Dustin and Grace are staying in their own booked unit for a couple of nights.  Dustin is taking the outdoor chairs for the concert in his boot.  My little Hyundai will be filled with the wheelchair, bags of clothes and small eskies filled with delectable delights of the palate.  Other household bits and pieces will be crammed in places you wouldn't expect and may not be found for several days after they are needed!
I will suggest the Pinjarra scones and cream and the Peel zoo.  Most of all I look forward to walking along the estuary enjoying the view and breathing in the sea air. Mel more than anyone loves spotting the pelicans on the water or flying high above.
Whatever we do will be just fine.  I hope the weather is kind, not too hot.  Anything around 30c will be appreciated and no rain please.  My link with the good Lord above isn't always reliable.
Even guilt can be a good thing.  A four day holiday with fresh sea air.  It sounds good to me.


Pelicans are often seen in Mandurah estuary


No comments: